Basseterre, St. Kitts, Monday, 13th March, 2019, (MyVueNews.com) – As investigators in Ethiopia continue to search for answers to explain what could have caused a relatively new 737 max aircraft to crash, just minutes after take-off on its way to Kenya, more and more countries have now banned the popular aircraft from their airspace and airports.
All this comes after the crash on Sunday, 11th March, of an Ethiopian Airlines Boeing Max 8, killing all 157 Passengers and crew on board.
Australia, Singapore, South Korea, Cayman Islands and China, immediately took precautionary measures to suspend operations of that type of carrier, but the US Government had been refusing to do likewise.
However, it seems like the government there has now bowed to mounting pressure, and on Wednesday announced that it too has grounded the aircraft which is manufactured by Boeing.
Even one US congress man opined that there might be liabilities, though he stopped short of apportioning blame and the potential target of any legal or other actions.
While the crash may have taken place in the distant country of Ethiopia, residents of St. Kitts and Nevis and other Caribbean countries should be paying close attention because some of the aircraft used in the region by American Airlines are 737s.
Earlier this week, American Airlines told passengers in the US that if they wished to change their reservations to avoid using 737s, their standard policies for changes would still apply, but other carriers, such as Southwest, which is said to have the largest fleet of the 737s in the US, said it was offering customers booked on flights using the jet, the chance to change their flights but was not refunding. All this could soon change.
How this new US action would impact flights into and out of St. Kitts and Nevis and how tourism may be affected, is still to be determined, but the 737 is not the only or more frequently used aircraft type that covers the twin-island nation.
The crash in the African nation was the second in five months.