Agent says Bolt not party to Cayman Invitational media censor

An e-mail purportedly from the meet organizers yesterday issued media guidelines for the Cayman Invitational in which it asked media personnel to “thoroughly review the guidelines document, which outlines code of conduct for all media, as well as suggested questions and bios of athletes”.

The communiqué warned all media to refrain from asking Usain Bolt about his injury and why he pulled out of the Jamaica Invitational. Also, it said there “should be no mention of Yohan Blake in any capacity”, and that failure to adhere to these rules would result in the media being removed from the press conference.

Ricky Simms, Bolt’s agent, was swift to respond to the reports that surfaced yesterday, telling the Jamaica Observer: “This is certainly not our policy. Usain is available to answer anything as usual.” Simms also said that they were not aware of where the restrictions came from.

The email was sent over the name of Jenna Lucas of Tower Marketing, Cayman Islands.

Bolt withdrew from the 200m at last weekend’s JII meet at the National Stadium after reporting a slight injury at training about a week before.

A release from Simms last week said Bolt had experienced slight discomfort in his hamstring and as a precaution would miss the Jamaican meet.

Blake was not scheduled to compete at the Cayman meet and had been scheduled to compete at the Doha Diamond League meet set for this Friday, as well as the Shanghai Diamond League on May 18.

Bolt is one of several Jamaicans who will be taking part in the Cayman meet, including sprint hurdlers Hansle Parchment and Dwight Thomas, Kerron Stewart and quarter-miler Novlene Williams-Mills.

Leave a Reply

error: Content is protected !!