Barbados Immigration Abuse Issue Might be Taken to CCJ

A Caribbeannewsnow report informs that, “The Gleaner quoted Foreign Affairs and Foreign Trade Minister, Kenneth Baugh, as saying that the matter involving 20-year-old Shanique Myrie could be headed to the CCJ if Bridgetown and Kingston cannot work out their differences.”

Responding to questions from opposition spokesman Anthony Hylton during last week’s meeting of the Standing Finance Committee of Parliament, Baugh declared that Jamaica is not backing down on the Myrie case.

“It is my own discussion with you concerning the problem in Barbados; it’s going through a process. But eventually, it may well end up at the Caribbean Court of Justice and we both accept that we will take it to the degree if it becomes necessary,” Baugh said.

This would be the first time that the Jamaican government would be taking a case to the CCJ since it was established in 2001.

Myrie said she was subjected to two demeaning cavity searches by a female immigration officer when she arrived in Barbados on March 14. She has since retained the services of Hylton, who is the former minister of foreign affairs and foreign trade.

Last month Jamaica sent a high level delegation to Bridgetown for talks with Barbadian authorities on the issue.

 

(Major portions of this article were incorporated from a Caribbeannewsnow release)

Leave a Reply

error: Content is protected !!