Minister Marcella Liburd told the media on Thursday, (15th September, 2011), that National Carnival 2010/11, which has been branded as Sugar Mass, will be organized and staged under the guidance of Ms. Shannon Hawley, who replaces Mr. Clement “Monarch” O’Garro, who was appointed last year but has since migrated to the United States.
Liburd also announced a number of other changes to the executive team that used the occasion of the press briefing Thursday to roll out some of the highlights for the 40th Anniversary of National Carnival.
Hawley becomes the first female to ever be given the honour to head the National Carnival Committee.
In her opening comments, Hawley thanked all who paved the way for her appointment and promised that the next National Carnival will exceed expectations, adding that there will be activities for everyone, both the young and old.
She also revealed that in celebration of 40 years, there will be 40 days of carnival and that this year special emphasis will be placed on folklore.
The new chairperson said, it is time to showcase our heritage and it’s time to stop thinking and act.
She introduced a number of changes that have been made to the carnival calendar which include; introduction of a youth rally, gospel concert and a band clash, a renaissance of the prince and princess show, and the expansion of the talented teen show and junior calypso competition, as well as the Soca Monarch. Hawley also stated that a revised edition of Children’s Carnival will be staged, so that the youth can get a chance to celebrate in their own space and activity.
The committee has also indicated that there will be increased participation and involvement from groups based in Nevis as well as some representing community festivals. This, they said, is essential for the success of National Carnival.
National Carnival 2011-12 is set to be launched on the 15th October 2011 and the proposed date for the start for the 40th edition of National Carnival is 25th November, 2011.
September, 2011 and interested parties are asked to visit the secretariat on Victoria Road or contact: email@example.com.
The full slate of the new Committee includes:
- Minister of Carnival– The Honourable Marcella Liburd
- Acting Permanent Secretary– Ms. Sharon Rattan
- Chairperson, Marketing & Sponsorship– Ms. Shannon Hawley
- Deputy Chairperson, Security, Marshalls and Medical– Mr. Ivor Blake
- Community Festivals– Mr. Vincent Fough
- Promotions & Public Relations in the Diaspora– Mr. Clement Monarch O’Garro
- Finance, Vendors and Booths– Ms. Carol Boddie
- Pageants and Merchandising– Ms. Nicole Gumbs
- Production and Carnival Arts Development– Mr. Dennis Richards
- Calypso, Contracts, Intellectual Property– Mr. Sylvester Anthony
- Streets– Mr. Val McMaster