Coach Passy upbeat on SKN performance going into next encounter with team El Salvador

The long awaited clash between both teams attracted 4,600 people into Warner Park to witness the historic first match with a Central America team. Fans were quite vocal and patriotic in supporting the national team, and the goal by El Salvador just before the half-time whistle, did not dampen their spirits for too long. But in the end, there was no winner.

Speaking with the media immediately after the June 11 match, Coach Passy was upbeat about the team’s performance, and disagreed that the team might have played too defensively during the first half.

He said, “I believe that the first half was very strategic. The first half was exactly like we planned it, and we were anticipating a second half in which we decided to pressure in a deeper way when we send the signal from the bench.”

On team performance, Passy was pleased, indicating further analysis of the game before heading off to El Salvador.

“I think that the performance of the team was excellent, but at the end, we committed two mistakes, balls that we shouldn’t have missed, and it’s a two-two tie. It’s a draw. Overall, I am happy with the performance,… and I believe we’ll have our chances in El Salvador,” Passy said.

Captain of the St. Kitts and Nevis team Atiba Harris admitted his mistake that conceded the first El Salvador goal, but said he and the team had confidence.

“I thought we played a very good game. We were very organized,” said Harris, who continued, “It was unfortunate that we didn’t come away with the win. Personally, I made an error in the first half, which had us one goal down, but going in at half time, we are a family, and there was no doubt in my mind, or my team mate’s mind that we were going to get a result. Now we have to look forward to the second leg.”

team-anthemsHarris also had high praise for the crowd support. He opined, “The fans really came out tonight and really got behind us… We play at home and we want to win, no matter who we play against, and I am happy they came out and supported us.”

St. Kitts and Nevis’ goals came in the 68th and 71st minutes of play. Orlando Mitcham scored the first in the 68thminute, and Romaine Sawyer scored the second goal in the 71st minute. For El Salvador, their first goal was scored by Irvin Herrera in the 41st minute, and this was followed in the 86th minute by Nelson Bonilla.

And the play was not without the usual infringements. The match referee issued four yellow cards to players on both sides. Romain Sawyer and Thrizen Leader were shown yellow cards in the 59th and 62nd minutes of play, while Alexander Mendoza and Milton Molina attracted their warnings in the 75th and 88th minutes of play.

So as the sounds of the Iron Band coming from the north stands fade in our memory, football fans have just a few more days to wait and hope that the St. Kitts and Nevis team can pull off a definitive victory in El Salvador in order to continue their journey towards the 2018 FIFA World Cup in Moscow.


Leave a Reply

Reset password

Enter your email address and we will send you a link to change your password.

Get started with your account

to save your favourite homes and more

Sign up with email

Get started with your account

to save your favourite homes and more

By clicking the «SIGN UP» button you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy
Powered by Estatik
error: Content is protected !!