The meeting was held at the Conference Room of the Nevis Island Administration Building and those in attendance included Mr. Hensley Daniel Minister, of Social Development, Sports and Culture, along with the twelve member committee.
In his remarks to the committee, Minister Daniel thanked the members for consenting to serve and he underscored the importance of delivering yet another exciting Culturama Festival in spite of the present global economic challenges. He emphasized the need for the committee to solicit the financial support of the corporate community while assuring the members that the Nevis Island Administration remains committed to the festival and that every effort will once again be made to provide full financial and other support to the committee thus ensuring the success of this year’s festival.
Chairman of the Nevis Cultural Development Foundation and chairman on the 2012 Nevis Culturama Committee Halstead “Sooty” Byron similarly thanked the returning members for their continued support and commitment to the festival over the years and welcomed and thanked the new members for their willingness to assist, in the promotion and preservation of Nevis’ rich cultural heritage, through their efforts at harnessing and showcasing the various local folk arts, talents and culinary skills over the Culturama season.
The twelve member committee includes:
- Halstead Byron Chairman
- Dianne Hobson Junior Cultural Street Parade
- Franklyn Daniel Adult Cultural Street Parade
- Livingston Liburd Junior Kaiso and Opening Ceremony
- Ricky Hill Street Bash, J’ouvert and Last Lap
- Shirley Wilkes Mr. and Ms. Talented Youth Contest
- Patrick Daniel Band Clash and Soca Monarch Contests
- Abonaty Liburd Finance, Sponsorship and Marketing
- Jaedee Caines Ms Culture Pageants and Mr Kool Contest
- Mark Lake Senior Kaiso Contest
- Chesly Davis Cultural Food Fair & Emancipation Concert
- Shellita Gumbs Secretary
The thirty-eight edition of Nevis’ Culturama Festival 2012 will run from Friday July 26th to Tuesday August 7th and will see the return of the Soca Monarch competition and dramatic presentations to the 2012 calendar of activities. The Mr. and Ms Talented Youth Pageant will this year celebrate its twenty-fifth anniversary.