Flame goes out

When the flame went out shortly before 10am, the torch was attached to the side of Para-badminton star David Follett’s wheelchair in Great Torrington, Devon.

“The flame went out due to a malfunctioning burner,” a spokeswoman for LOCOG said.

“It is not uncommon for a flame to go out and this can happen for a number of reasons, for example, in extreme winds.”

A replacement torch was brought out from the fleet of vehicles and was lit from the mother flame.

The spokeswoman added: “We keep the mother flame in specially designed miners’ lanterns so if the flame does go out for some reason on the relay we relight it from the source of the flame.”


Torchbearer Follett was left paralysed at 19 when he was struck by a car.

However, after returning to college to complete his A-Levels he looked at what sports were available to wheelchair athletes and helped set up a badminton club.

Along with his playing partner, Follett has been unbeaten for three years in the four nation’s competitions and he is now the Para-badminton world No 1 in his class.

Leave a Reply

Reset password

Enter your email address and we will send you a link to change your password.

Get started with your account

to save your favourite homes and more

Sign up with email

Get started with your account

to save your favourite homes and more

By clicking the «SIGN UP» button you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy
Powered by Estatik
error: Content is protected !!