Friday Afternoon Scare on Fort Street

Though the details are still sketchy, it is confirmed that the incident occurred at approximately 5:30pm, at a time of heightened activity in the city, as Kittitians were engaged in their late afternoon shopping and holiday weekend relaxation.

According some eyewitness reports, the incident was triggered by an altercation between local businessman, Mr. Bobsy Hawley of Frigate Bay and an unidentified young man who is known to frequent the Fort Street area.

It is reported that while Mr. Hawley was driving in a northerly direction on Fort Street, the unidentified man is said to have exited a nearby shop, when he and Mr. Hawley’s vehicle almost collided. Eyewitnesses however state that the man was not struck by the vehicle. Following an exchange of words between both gentlemen, a fight erupted.DSCN4239

The unidentified man and Mr. Hawley are said to have engaged in an exchange of physical contact, with Hawley initially being struck with a hammer. After a period of struggle, Hawley is said to have managed to wrestle the hammer away and thereafter proceeding to defend himself from the alleged attacker, striking him with his own weapon.

It is from this point on, the details have become even more confusing and contradicted by different eyewitnesses. At some point in the exchange of blows, a third individual, is reported to have come to the assistance of Mr. Hawley.

Eyewitnesses claim that the unidentified man was shot but it is not clear by whom. Police, however, are trying to unravel the various accounts but it is confirmed that the pedestrian was in fact struck with his own hammer, at various parts of his body, including the head.

DSCN4231The gentleman was taken to the JNF Hospital by the EMS for medical attention, for what some eyewitnesses indicate were serious injuries. Mr. Hawley also travelled to the JNF for medical examination. From all accounts he however, seemed not to be suffering from any visible injury that at this point could be considered serious.

Police immediately restricted traffic on the Fort Street, diverting vehicles to other exits and cordoning off the area from members of the public, to prevent the huge crowd that had gathered from hindering the investigations of the detectives, that were called in from the police precinct, two blocks away.

Up to 7:00pm, Police were still on the scene in continuation of their will provide additional information as it comes to hand.


Leave a Reply

Reset password

Enter your email address and we will send you a link to change your password.

Get started with your account

to save your favourite homes and more

Sign up with email

Get started with your account

to save your favourite homes and more

By clicking the «SIGN UP» button you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy
Powered by Estatik
error: Content is protected !!