Government issues advisory to nationals residing in Canada

In an advisory issued on Thursday 9th December, the Ministry of Foreign Affairs and Homeland Security of St. Kitts and Nevis, advised that Nationals of St Kitts and Nevis who have a valid study or work permit, currently living in Canada (study/working), and are travelling anywhere other than to the United States or St. Pierre and Miquelon, that he-she needs to apply for a temporary resident visa at Canada’s Case Processing Pilot Office in Ottawa.

Further, the Homeland Security Ministry in St. Kitts, informed that students in Canada may apply for an extension on their valid Student Authorization at CPC Vegreville but applying for a visa must be done at CPC Ottawa.

Just recently, the Canadian Government informed their Kittitian counterparts that they were imposing a visa requirement on their nationals travelling from the Federation to that country.

The fallout came in the wake of loopholes that the Canadians said were being allowed in the Citizenship By Investment Programme, administered by the St. Kitts and Nevis Government. It was the argument of the Canadians that terrorists and members of known terrorist groups were being allowed to participate in the economic citizenship initiative, giving them the rights to enter Canada without visas because they held St. Kitts and Nevis passports.

Some of these citizens are said to be from Iran, whose citizens are banned from entering Canada.

However, the necessity of obtaining a visa applies only in cases where persons mentioned above travel outside of Canada to the United States or St. Pierre and Miquelon, the Foreign Ministry stated.

To this end they noted that persons can only apply in Canada for a visitor’s visa if- they are a legally admitted student or temporary foreign worker in Canada with a Canadian residential address or their current temporary resident status is still valid, and their existing visa counterfoil is expired or was valid for only one entry.

Further, they require a new resident visa to return to Canada in the near future.

Persons living in the Federation can apply for a visa from the Canadian High Commission in Trinidad.



Leave a Reply

Reset password

Enter your email address and we will send you a link to change your password.

Get started with your account

to save your favourite homes and more

Sign up with email

Get started with your account

to save your favourite homes and more

By clicking the «SIGN UP» button you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy
Powered by Estatik
error: Content is protected !!