The New York Times reported that 45-year-old Chinese billionaire Xiao Jianhua was “spirited away” by Chinese police from his hotel room at the Four Seasons in Hong Kong and is in custody on mainland China.
Xiao has been missing since last week Friday.
On Wednesday, Browne told OBSERVER media, “From all indication, he never utilised his appointment as an envoy to commit any crime. We are still unclear as to whether it was an abduction or arrest, and if it is the latter, what crime, if any, was committed.”
He nonetheless assured that “if he is eventually charged with any wrongdoing” then “potential action involves revocation of his status of economic envoy”.
The prime minister said that changes will be made to the system for issuing diplomatic passports.
“The changes are likely to include the recall of all diplomatic passports and re-issue with barometric passports under a new policy. The new policy would also include publication of the list of diplomatic passports issued,” he said.
According to Browne, “International partners” have already received a list of Antigua & Barbuda’s diplomats.