Notice: Trying to access array offset on value of type bool in /home/customer/www/myvuenews.com/public_html/wp-content/themes/daily-news/functions.php on line 309

Guyana out of regional tournament

Secretary of the Guyana Cricket Board Anand Senasie informed the West Indies Cricket Board (WICB) on Wednesday that the decision stemmed from the Guyana Government’s decision to take over the running of the game in the country.

“We have tried our utmost to get the Government to acquiesce to the wishes of the players and the GCB, but to no avail,” wrote Senasie in a letter to the WICB.

“I must regretfully inform you that the GCB cannot provide a team to participate in the tournament because the Government of Guyana, through the Ministry of Culture, Youth and Sport has placed locks on the doors of our offices and storage bond since December 24.”

The GCB said they were mindful of a request from the WICB to inform them of their decision by January 4.

There is no word yet on the response to this development from the WICB. They have the option of playing a nine-team tournament, or including a replacement side – likely a High Performance Unit selection – to take the place of the Guyanese.

Senasie said the action by the Guyana government has caused “tremendous administrative and logistical difficulty” in the GCB’s preparation and outfitting of the national team.

“The GCB will continue to pursue a solution and advise the WICB as we progress,” he said.

He also informed the WICB that the participation of the national team in the regional first-class championship next month would require usage of the state-owned Guyana National Stadium for all home fixtures.

“If the present impasse continues this facility may not be available to the GCB,” he said.

Senasie also informed the WICB that the local WICB/Digicel Grassroots programme had been placed on hold due to the government’s action.

Leave a Reply

error: Content is protected !!