Jagdeo, speaking at a rally of his ruling People’s Progressive Party Civic (PPPC) on Sunday also announced that the four-month ban placed on the privately owned television station, due to have gone into effect on October 3, will now begin on December1.
At least 17 political parties have already indicated a willingness to contest the regional and national elections. The Guyana Elections Commission (GECOM) said that everything would be ready for the polls by November 14.
The polls are expected to be a straight fight between the PPP C, the recently formed coalition A Partnership for National Unity (APNU) that includes the main opposition People’s National Congress Reform (PNCR) and the Alliance For Change ( AFC).
Jagdeo, who is barred by the constitution from seeking a third consecutive terms in office, said that the opposition parties should have no excuse for their defeat after he announced the decision to defer the four –month suspension of CNS TV6.
“I will allow Sharma to broadcast for the next two months and start the suspension from December 1 … I’m gonna take away any excuse that they would have,” Jagdeo said, adding that he wanted the opposition to participate so that they could be severely beaten.
Last week, Jagdeo had denied the suspension of the license of the television station over an alleged libellous statement, was politically motivated saying that the recommendation came from the Advisory Committee on Broadcasting (ACB).