Jack Warner Resigns from FIFA, Investigations into Bribery Allegations Dropped

In a statement issued on Monday, 20th June, 2011, FIFA explained that it had accepted Warner’s resignation.

“Mr Warner is leaving FIFA by his own volition after nearly 30 years of service, having chosen to focus on his important work on behalf of the people and government of Trinidad and Tobago as a Cabinet Minister and as the Chairman of the United National Congress (UNC), the major party in his country’s coalition government,” it said.

Warner is Works and Transport Minister in the People’s Partnership coalition government.

The former FIFA vice president and head of CONCACAF had been suspended, along with Asian federation chief Mohamed bin Hammam and two Caribbean Football Union (CFU) officials, over accusations of bribery leading up to the presidential election.

FIFA said that “as a consequence of Mr. Warner’s self-determined resignation, all Ethics Committee procedures against him have been closed and the presumption of innocence is maintained.”

The association said it regretted the turn of events that led to Warner’s decision to call it quits.

“His contribution to international football and to Caribbean football in particular and the CONCACAF confederation are appreciated and acknowledged,” the FIFA statement said.

“The FIFA Executive Committee, the FIFA President and the FIFA management thank Mr Warner for his services to Caribbean, CONCACAF and international football over his many years devoted to football at both regional and international level, and wish him well for the future.”

(Parts of this article were written with content submitted in a Caribbean360 publication)


Leave a Reply

error: Content is protected !!