LIAT FIRE: Airline, St Lucian leader weigh in as probe continues

The Antigua Observer’s daily newspaper and radio network quoted an unnamed “source close to the probe” as saying an unattended golf cart left charging from the Friday before the Sunday night fire has become “one of the central focuses” of the investigation.

In a brief statement, LIAT said its acting chief executive, Brian Challenger, had noted the investigations “by local law enforcement officials were continuing and that the cause of the fire has not yet been determined.

The fire gutted a hangar, destroying the oldest plane in the airline’s fleet and two offices at the airline’s headquarters.

Last week, the Vincentian leader Dr Ralph Gonsalves said the Dominica government was set to join as the airline’s fourth major shareholder with half of its initial equity investment. He urged the St Lucian government to speed up its decision on whether to become another joint owner of the 56-year-old airline.

But the St Lucian prime minister, Dr. Kenny Anthony said he will not be harried into making a rushed decision, noting that any move in this direction will be carefully assessed by his administration.

Leave a Reply

error: Content is protected !!