Medical student suffered stroke as a consequence of stabbing on Nevis

In an extensive interview given to the Toronto Star newspaper, in Canada, and published on Thursday 12th December, 2013, Haroun disclosed that once back on home soil, and receiving medical treatment there, it was realized that her injuries were more serious than what doctors on Nevis had described as “nothing life-threatening”.

According to the report Haroun had an injured carotid and a dissected vertebral artery — a tear to a major blood vessel in the neck that supplies blood to the brain.

Worried about clotting, doctors put her on aspirin. Ten days later, she had a stroke, said the report.

They added however that the stroke did not do lasting damage, but she has to take a stronger blood thinner now. She may be able to stop it at some point — in three months, maybe six. Or she may not. She attends appointments nearly daily with a slew of specialists, stated the Toronto Star.

It was back on Tuesday 1st October, 2013 that Haroun was attacked around 2:30 a.m. after returning home from a night of entertainment with friends. However when she got back to her room, a man was waiting inside with a knife.

After a struggle the man managed to inflict some 16 stab wounds to various parts of her body. Her screams and struggle helped to save her as her neighbours, also students of the same university she attended on Nevis, came to her rescue, with the attacker fleeing through a window. She was then taken to hospital in Charlestown.

She complained however that upon arrival, there was no doctor and she expressed dissatisfaction with the physical conditions of the medical facility and the quality of treatment received. Eventually she was aided in leaving the island the following day (2nd October) for medical treatment overseas following the arrival of family members.

Haroun, 27, was a student at the Medical University of the Americas.

Mother-and-sun-on-murder-charge.jpg-2The man who attacked her, Shane Dwayne Oliver Shorter tried to escape custody by leaving the country but was nabbed by police at the Robert Bradshaw International Airport on St. Kitts.

Also arrested with him and charged for assisting him in trying to evade lawful custody, was his mother, Itasha Dellisser. Both are citizens of Jamaica who were at the time residing at Shaw’s Road, Newcastle, Nevis, and are now being held in prison on St. Kitts awaiting their trial.

They are being charged with attempted murder.

Leave a Reply

Reset password

Enter your email address and we will send you a link to change your password.

Get started with your account

to save your favourite homes and more

Sign up with email

Get started with your account

to save your favourite homes and more

By clicking the «SIGN UP» button you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy
Powered by Estatik
error: Content is protected !!