Nevis Island Administration Repeals Controversial Cable Ordinance

 

Since the measure back in 2009, the Administration of Premier Joseph Parry has been under pressure to remove the legislation and restore the management to the company that operated the business before the government’s intervention.

This move finally was taken on Monday when the Nevis Cable Communications Corporation Repeal Ordinance, 2009 which was introduced by Minister of Communications Mr. Robelto Hector was introduced and passed.

The Nevis Cable Communications Corporation Repeal Ordinance, 2011, therefore canceled the previous Act under which Caribbean Cable Communications (CCC) had been acquired by the NIA.

It was widely believed that both the Nevis Island Administration and the Federal Government were forced to take action, after demands were made by various US officials and agencies. This however has not been confirmed by any government representative.

Other matters dealt with at the sitting were the Investment Promotion Agency

(Amendment) Ordinance, 2011 which was read and constructed as one with the Nevis

Investment Promotion Agency Ordinance, No.2 of 2008 and later referred to as the Principal Ordinance.

The Principal Ordinance was amended in section 6(2) (a) with the deletion of the said subsection and replaced with, “a chairman nominated by the Minister.” The Principal Ordinance in section 15(1) deleted the subsection and replaced it with “The Minister shall, upon the recommendation of the board appoint an Executive Director.”

 The amended Bill, therefore, made provisions for the appointment of a Chairman of the Board and an Executive Director of the Agency.

The Nevis Supplementary Appropriation (2008) Ordinance, 2011 after its successful passage in the House, allowed a total of $9,981,178.76 drawn from the Nevis Island Consolidated Fund by the former Administration through a warrant of the Minister of Finance during the financial year January 01, 2008 to December 31st 2008 to be legally accounted for.

The sum of money was in excess of the amounts provided for services in the Nevis Appropriation (2008) Ordinance 2007 were declared to be lawful expenditure on account of the Nevis Island Administration for the said financial year.

The Nevis Supplementary Appropriation (2010) Ordinance, 2011 was passed. It made lawful the sum of $6,045,021.00 which had been expended during 1998 by the Government of the day through a warrant from its Finance Minister during the financial year January 01, 2010 to December 31, 2010.

Nevis Supplementary Appropriation (2009) Ordinance, 2011 was also passed. It made lawful the sum of $11,649,502.88 which was drawn under a warrant by the Minister of Finance, Premier of Nevis, Joseph Parry from the Nevis Island Consolidated Fund, during 2009.

 Also passed was the Nevis Supplementary Appropriation (2007) Ordinance, 2011. It made lawful the sum of $19,638,386.66 which was drawn under a warrant by the Minister of Finance, Joseph Parry during 2007 from the Nevis Island Consolidated Fund.

Monday’s sitting was held under the Presidency of Mrs. Christine Springette who was recently appointed to the post, following last July’s election.

Leave a Reply

error: Content is protected !!