The Society said it is solidly supporting its mission of facilitating empowerment through education with the introduction of this new scholarship. Intended to be an annual scholarship, this initiative of SPBS is different as it seeks to support the educational advancement of alumni of SPHS/CEMSS, and not just the current students.
Over the years, SPBS, with the able support of the Kittitians and Nevisians in the Diaspora, has made significant contributions in the form of gifts to schools in Sandy Point and St. Paul’s, and also to students from the four (4) primary schools that feed the Charles E. Mills Secondary School (CEMSS).
The executive members of SPBS said they are very excited about this scholarship opportunity. According to the group’s president, Dr. Mervyn Richardson, “What is most fantastic is that this scholarship program shows that SPBS is offering tangible support both to incoming freshmen of the Charles E Mills Secondary School (CEMSS), and now to graduates of SPHS/CEMSS”.
Former Principal of the SPHS and now VP of SPBS, Mr. Vincent Hodge added, “The case for a scholarship was compelling and it was met with consensus. This [scholarship] bears testimony to the commitment of the group [SPBS] to strengthen investment in education” in St. Kitts.
The society has established a list of contest rules for the guidance of all applicants.
The SPBS awards an annual scholarship to one deserving student to assist him/her with their tuition, books, supplies and incidentals.
- Candidates must be graduates of Sandy Point High/CEMSS within the past 10 years.
- Candidates must be actively attending college/university and pursuing an undergraduate, graduate or post graduate degree.
- Candidates, whether pursuing their degree onsite (on campus) or via distance education, must be registered for a minimum of 6 credits per semester
- Candidates must have completed at minimum, one Semester, and have obtained a GPA of at least 3.00 on a scale of 4.00
- Candidates must have a proven record of involvement in community development.
- Candidates must not be on full scholarship
- Completed application form
- 500 word essay/statement of purpose
- Proof of school enrollment and GPA will be verified prior to award
- The award amount will be one thousand USD (US $1000)
- All completed application packets must be submitted by July 15, 2013. Application packets must be submitted electronically to firstname.lastname@example.org
Award Selection Process
- Applications from persons who are not eligible to apply will not be considered.
- All criteria for eligibility must be met.
- Documentation from institution verifying GPA must be presented.
- All applicants will be notified whether successful or not.
- Unsuccessful applicants can reapply.
- Successful applicants can only receive one award.
- The decision of the SPBS Scholarship Committee is final.
The scholarship winners will be announced at the annual SPBS Banquet and Awards Dinner on Saturday, August 31, 2013.