This served as the crowning moment for the candidates of the Nevis Reformation Party, NRP, and their thousands of supporters, many of whom packed the stands at the sports complex, to witness the establishment of the new island administration, which again, is being headed by Mr. Joseph Parry as Premier.
Parry and two of his colleagues, Hensley Daniel and Robelto Hector, were re-elected in Monday’s (11th July), Local Island Elections, that also saw two candidates from the opposition Concerned Citizens Movement, CCM, (Vance Amory and Alexis Jeffers), winning their seats.
The new Cabinet is also comprised of two non-elected Ministers, who were appointed by the Governor General, Sir Cuthbert Sebastian, on the advice of Mr. Parry, to serve as Ministers of State, in various ministries. The full Cabinet is as follows:
- Minister with special responsibility for Finance, Statistics & Economic Planning, Education & Library Services, Human Resources, Tourism & Labour.
Hensley Daniel-Deputy Premier-Minister of the Nevis Island Administration, with special responsibility for:
- Minister with special responsibility for Health, Gender, Social Affairs, Youth & Sport, Community Affairs, Trade, Industry, Culture & Telecommunications.
- Minister with special responsibility for Communications, Works & Public Utilities, Posts, Physical Planning, Natural Resources, Environment, Agriculture, Lands, Housing, Cooperatives & Fisheries.
- Minister of State in the Ministry of Communications, Works & Public Utilities, Posts, Physical Planning, Natural Resources and Environment; with special responsibilities for Public Utilities, Public Works, Posts, Physical Planning, Food Water Control & Environment.
- Minister of State in the Ministry of Trade & Industry with special responsibility for Consumer Affairs, Trade, Industry, Import & Export Control.
It is expected that the Cabinet will be completed by the appointment shortly of Mr. Ashley Farrell, as Secretary, though no confirmation to this effect was provided at the Swearing in Ceremony. Farrell served in that position before the elections.
The ceremony, which commenced around 6:00pm heard addresses from Premier Parry as well as the Prime Minister of the Federation of St. Kitts & Nevis, Dr. Denzil Douglas.