This discussion was held at the Warner Park Cricket Stadium, Cricket room on Thursday 11th August 20110 where Deputy Director of Physical Education and Sports from Port Of Spain, Trinidad and Tobago Ms Ruth Marchan attended along with the General Secretary of OCASPE Ms Theophila Charles, Director of Sports in Barbados Mr Ersine King, Education Officer in St Vincent Mr Ortis Jack and St Kitts and Nevis’ Director of Sports Mr Dave Connor.
The objectives of OCASPE are:
To promote networking and information sharing among stake holders in matters related to sports, youth and physical education
To promote harmonious development of sports, youth and physical education in the countries of the region
To facilitate the implementation of sports, youth and physical education development programs in the region
To encourage and promote quality of access to sports, youth and physical education activities for all citizens
To promote training for sports, youths and physical education personnel
To promote the establishing and monitoring of standards and levels of professional accreditation in the areas of sports, youth and physical education.
To provide an advisory service on regional needs and issues in sports, youth and physical education to regional governments, institutions and organisations.
OCASPE in collaboration with the Commonwealth Games Canada, CARICOM and the Caribbean Netball Association mainly focus on number of specific areas which are;
– Coaching education and Certification
– Community sports leadership Certification
– Development of a structured sport management Education program
– Healthy Lifestyle Initiatives
– Women in sport Enhancement Programmes
– Youth at Risk Initiatives
– Networking among Governments and voluntary sports organisations across the region
– Development of Physical Education Curricula including Lobbying for Physical Education to become an examinable subject across the region.
To facilitate these programs and activities member countries are to pay a subscription of US$1,000 per year since 1994.
The Organisation of Caribbean Administrators Of Sports & Physical Education obligates itself to the development of sport and physical education through-out the region with the partnership of local, regional and international agencies.