A spokesman for the People’s Action Movement, (PAM) explained that the calendar of activities has been organized to demonstrate its commitment to the country that they said has seen its most glorious days of prosperity during the first 15 years of independence under the leadership of the country’s first Prime Minister, Dr. Sir Kennedy Simmonds, who was at the helm of leadership from 1980-1995.
After the attainment of independence on 19th September, 1983, St. Kitts & Nevis was soon transformed into a model for all small and developing nations, with one of the highest growth rates in the world, expressed the spokesman.
The People’s Action Movement is seeing the 30th Anniversary as one for serious reflection and celebration. They have therefore organized a series of events that include town hall meetings, rallies, public meetings, a walk-a-thon, fun day, picnics, a church service and others.
However the major event planned is the party’s annual Independence Banquet which is slated for Wednesday 18th September, 2013, at the St. Kitts Marriott Resort in Frigate Bay.
While the party is however deep into its planning for independence, they have indicated that they are also keeping their focus on the political struggle for democracy and to restore confidence in government, especially given their filing over 250 days ago of a motion of no confidence and a second one in early August. In addition said the PAM spokesman, the party remains focused on fighting the plans of the ruling Labour Party to change the current electoral boundaries.
One of the means of taking their message to the people is their regular public meetings which are due to resume this week Thursday, 22nd August, after a break during the Emancipation and Culturama celebrations.
The party has planned a rally and public meeting for Ponds Pasture, starting at 8:00pm, which they are dubbing “Warriors Rally”.
The “WARRIORS RALLY” will be followed by a Midday public Meeting the following day on Friday 23rd at the Industrial Site and on Saturday Morning at 7:00am at the Public Market.
The full schedule of upcoming meetings and independence activities is as follows:
- THURSDAY August 22 – Pond’s Pasture 8.00 pm
- FRIDAY August 23 – Ponds Industrial Site 12.00 pm –
- SATURDAY August 24 – Public Market Basseterre 7.00 am
- THURSDAY August 29 – Constituency#8 , Cayon 8pm
- THURSDAY September 5 -Central Basseterre , 8pm
- THURSDAY September 12 – Constituency # 5, Sandy Point 8pm
- MONDAY September 16 – Independence Walk 6.00 am – Sandy Point to Basseterre.
- MONDAY September 16 – UNITY Beach-nick at Frigate Bay from 12.00 noon
- WEDNESDAY September 18 – PAM INDEPENDENCE BALL, St. Kitts Marriott
- SATURDAY September 21 – Constituency # 4 Green Tree Homegrown Food Festival/Fun Day 10am until
- SUNDAY September 22 – Service of Thanksgiving Zion Moravian Church 9.30 am.