The team of consultants from UWI Consultancy Inc. which is led by Dr Basil Burke is currently in the federation to meet with various stakeholders and to conduct interviews that will assist them in their duties.
The Specialists of The New Horizons Rehabilitation Centre duties are;
– Revision of all relevant legislation and policies as they pertain to juvenile justice and submission of any necessary recommendations
– The recommendation of an appropriate operational structure including the human resource and financial needs of the Rehabilitation Centre
– Identifying programmes and services for the trainees at the centre
– Formulation of a community outreach programme
– Development of proper monitoring and evaluation mechanisms including the tracking of rehabilitated girls and boys
– Training of staff who will be employed at the centre
The specialist will ensure that the management of the centre are upholding the rights of a child. The centre will gain successful rehabilitation of young persons through a well-developed training program, which will include work with the families, counselling and a comprehensive reintegration programme for persons when completing the program.
The New Horizons Rehabilitation centre will provide service for thirty residents at any one time.
Team members who are currently on island include:
- Dr. Basil Burke – Chief Executive Office UWI Consulting
- Dr. Ancilla Armstrong – Team Leader
- Dr. Dennis Edwards – Clinical Psychologist
- Dr. Disraeli Hutton – Organizational Specialist
- Mrs. Margarette Macaulay – Children Attorney and Human Rights Activist
- Ms. Cynthia Humes – Project Manage