SKNDF Soldiers Accused of Rape, Granted Bail

 

Lance Corporals Charles ‘Babash’ Bowry (39) and Jamal ‘JP’ Phillip (35), were charged with rape on 24th February, 2011 and the offence, according to reports, took place on 19th February, 2011 sometime after midnight. The alleged incident is said to have been perpetrated against a 16-year-old.

In a previous interview with MiyVue.com, Acting Assistant Commissioner responsible for Crime, Ian Queeley, indicated that the men made an appearance before the Basseterre High Court of Justice where applications for bail were made. He further indicated that bail was not granted and the men were remanded to prison.

Since then, this media house has understood that the men were subsequently granted bail which was confirmed, having communicated with the ACP Crime (Ag).

He informed that the men made another application for bail which was granted on Wednesday, 9th March, 2011 following which they were released from police custody.

MiyVue.com understands that the men were bailed in the sum of $125,000 each with two sureties and as one of the conditions of their bail, they are required to surrender their travel documents to the court’s Registrar.

A previously-issued press release from the St. Kitts Nevis Defence Force (SKNDF) indicated that after the men were charged, they were suspended from active duty pending their trial.

According to details of the alleged incident which led to the arrest of the two officers, it is said to have taken place on the grounds of the historic Fort Thomas Hotel. Information which reached MiyVue.com suggests that a 16-year-old female was forced in a vehicle in which two Defence Force soldiers reportedly travelled after which she was transported to the Fort Thomas Hotel and raped. She was reportedly abandoned somewhere on the outskirts of Basseterre.

Investigations into the incident are ongoing.

Related Articles: 

Leave a Reply

error: Content is protected !!