St Kitts and Haiti Win Opening Games of CFU Olympic Qualifying Tournament

It took the home team 39 minutes in the first half, to find the back of the net of the St. Lucians, when Travis “Rug Rat” Sommersal made his mark with the opening goal for his country. He was joined in the 79th minute by Terrance Warde who delivered St. Kitts & Nevis’ second goal.

Just when it appeared as though St. Kitts & Nevis would have been walking away with a comfortable 2-nil victory, St. Lucia managed their lone goal in the dying moments of the match, in the 90th minute, when Zaine Pierre restored some dignity to the St. Lucian side.


In the end though, St. Kitts & Nevis ended the encounter with a 2-1 victory. 

Despite the modest crowd, they remained vocal throughout the match, with local fans screaming the names of the players and shouting instructions to fight off the advances of the St. Lucian


In the early part of the game, both teams appeared determined to defend their territory but wanting to invade that of the other side.

The energy of the visiting St. Lucians dropped however, when St Kitts & Nevis landed the first goal, causing the octaves of the voices both within the stadium and outside the walls to be heard from miles away.

St. Kitts & Nevis appeared from the dressing room in the second half energetically defending their 1-nil advantage, and successfully blocking all attempts for goals by St Lucia, until the final 5 minutes of the match that did produce St. Lucia’s lone goal.

Earlier in the evening, Haiti managed to clinch victory over Antigua & Barbuda, with a similar result to that in the later game. Haiti secured their 2-1 victory with goals from Charles Herald Junior in the 2nd minute and Guerrier Wilde Donald in the 48th minute.

When the first goal was scored by Haiti, the stadium came to life and the screams of the Haitian fans triumphed over the loud music as they danced and celebrated.

Just minutes after Antigua and Barbuda had their chance of glory, by bringing equality to the game, the score was no more ‘one-nil’ but ‘one-one’. After the first  half, Haiti broke the unity and scored once more making the score’ two-one’ which they held until the final whistle.

Antigua & Barbuda picked up their only goal from Stefan Smith in the 27th minute.


The next round of matches will played on Saturday 23rd July, when Haiti comes up against St. Lucia at 6:00pm and Antigua & Barbuda tackle hosts St. Kitts & Nevis at 8:00pm.




Leave a Reply

Reset password

Enter your email address and we will send you a link to change your password.

Get started with your account

to save your favourite homes and more

Sign up with email

Get started with your account

to save your favourite homes and more

By clicking the «SIGN UP» button you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy
Powered by Estatik
error: Content is protected !!