Team Unity, Labour supporters clash over closing of polling stations in Central Basseterre

The uproar occurred at 6:00 p.m. when polling stations in the 2015 St. Kitts and Nevis General Elections should be closed.  At the core of the debacle were the polling stations at SKELEC (former Electricity Department), the Pilgrim Holiness Church on Cayon Street, and that located at the Clarence Fitzroy Bryant College on Burdon Street.

According to a report from Val Henry of, there were many supporters in the streets at the Pilgrim Holiness Church representing the opposition and the Labour Party.

He indicated that the Team Unity supporters had determined that the polls would not reopen and began forcefully to vocalize their position.

“They decided to agitate. They were shouting. They were demonstrating, and they were making it very clear in their messages that they were not going to allow anyone to steal the elections, and that they would be there, being vigilant to make sure that it does not happen,” said Henry, as he described the volatile environment at the Pilgrim Holiness Church polling station on Cayon Street.

According to Henry, the militant-like protest of Team Unity supporters got a subdued reaction from the Labour supporters, as the Team Unity supporters made it clear they were defending democracy, as they made their way to the Electricity Department (SKELEC), where Police Officers cordoned off the entrance to the polling station to keep it closed.

Meanwhile, about a half-mile away at the Clarence F. Bryant College, rumours began to spread that an attempt was being made to reopen the polling station.

“That in fact materialized at the polling station on Burdon Street, which is Polling Divisions #5. It is claimed that two persons were allowed to vote. This was way after six when they were allowed to vote. The polling station had already been closed. There was no line to say that the persons came and were standing in the line when 6 o’clock came. That was not the case,” Henry explained. Information reaching indicates that the individuals voted at about 6:35 p.m.

This action generated another heated protest, when opposition candidate Jonel Powell arrived on the scene.

“He protested and made representation to the persons in charge of the polling station, the presiding officer, and he lodged his complaints,” said Henry.

It is understood that the names of the voters have been recorded and the time at which they voted. Henry explained that the opposition would make the charge that those two votes should not factor and should not be counted.

According to Henry, the Police were able to manage the situations, and that the Defense Force personnel were not deployed.

[Editor’s note: Starting 1st March 2015, would become]

Leave a Reply

Reset password

Enter your email address and we will send you a link to change your password.

Get started with your account

to save your favourite homes and more

Sign up with email

Get started with your account

to save your favourite homes and more

By clicking the «SIGN UP» button you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy
Powered by Estatik
error: Content is protected !!