The fence is coming down

By MyVue News.com Staff Reporter

Basseterre, Thursday, 9th December, 2021, (MyVue News.com) –It had been a source of much contention from the first day it was installed ahead of the re-start of the cruise season in St. Kitts.

But now, Government has announced that the temporary fence at the main cruise facility, Port Zante, will be removed, as of Saturday, 11th December.

This comes as part of the easing of restrictions, now that the active COVID-19 cases have dropped almost to single digits and with the high number of vaccinated citizens, said Government in a statement on Wednesday.

“The protective barriers that were erected at Port Zante for the safety of citizens and residents will be removed on Saturday, 11th December, effectively making Port Zante more accessible to all and allowing for greater business activity,” said the statement.

Over the past months, taxi drivers and other players in the tourism sector, including merchants at Port Zante, had complained bitterly about the erection of the barriers, arguing that it was preventing many from gaining access to the cruise passengers, to generate much-needed business.

The Government explained that because of the recent discovery of the Omicron variant of the COVID-19 disease, back in November, it had decided to delay the introduction of new measures, including changes to the policy related to the barriers.

Photo: Section of Port Zante with fencing. (Photo courtesy A. Browne)

Reset password

Enter your email address and we will send you a link to change your password.

Get started with your account

to save your favourite homes and more

Sign up with email

Get started with your account

to save your favourite homes and more

By clicking the «SIGN UP» button you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy
Powered by Estatik
error: Content is protected !!