As part of Earth Day activities this year Solid Waste Management will be hosting litter walks. Garbage bags and gloves will be provided to ensure safety and cleanliness. Participants are asked to meet in the parking lot of the main office at Ramsbury Site at 5:00pm on Monday, April 22nd (today). Everyone is invited to participate in this effort to keep our environs clean and litter free!
We are also encouraged to make everyday Earth Day. There are many things we can do to keep our surroundings clean. Below are a few suggestions we can all try to help save our environs.
1) Water: Use less, use only what you need, and reuse and recycle when possible. Dispose of solid and liquid wastes and medications safely. Protect our water source from pollutants, excess pesticides and garbage.
2) Air: Plant a tree or plant many trees. Prevent additional air pollution by finding alternatives to burning your waste. Stop smoking.
3) Land: Reduce or eliminate use of pesticides. Learn about composting. Learn about our native species and the negative effects of non-native plants and animals in the environment. Form a team in your community that removes non-native species.
4) Energy: Choose energy saving appliances.
5) Waste: Cut back on the amount of stuff that could later end up as waste. Reuse and Recycle. Do not litter. Properly dispose of trash, waste and electronic gadgets.
6) Advocacy: Volunteer at NHCS Environmental Committee and participate in environmental events such as Clean Island Sweep and Coastal Clean Up. Share your talents and help to form a Recycling Committee. Help to organize other events such as, a clean-up day in your community and establish an award for it. Hold a recycling competition at your workplace. Raise awareness by talking to others about the environment.
If each person chooses one of the above, we are well on our way to saving the Earth!