Toshao vows legal action over rape allegation

George was placed in custody at the Lethem Police Station on Friday, in relation to an allegation of rape of a minor.

He was arrested less than three days after President Ramotar was forced to abort a campaign visit into Moco Moco Village, North Rupununi, after being informed that short notice was given to the Village Council.

Toshao George had cited the country’s Amerindian Act, 2006 which stipulates that once a person is not travelling on official business for the government, they must seek the permission of the Village Council for a visit.

He stated that since the Head of State was not on official Government business, but on campaign for the upcoming General and Regional Elections, he had to seek permission to enter the Amerindian community.

George also noted that the Amerindian Act clearly states that in such instances, one week must be given for the visit to be approved.

In light of the occurrence, the Toshao said that he was very concerned about being unable to allow the President entry into the Village.

He opted for the President to visit at a later date, but no date had been set aside.  George said in the case of the President, the Council would have attempted to speed up preparations for his visit.

However, the Guyana Police Force subsequently issued a press release implicating the Amerindian Leader in a report of sexual assault committed on a female.

The incident allegedly took place on February 01, but police said that the report was only made by the Region’s School Welfare Officer, on Wednesday last.

Following interventions by his lawyer, Nigel Hughes, and a few residents from the area Toshao George was released from the Lethem Police Station.

He has since expressed concern that the allegation was set out to mar his reputation.

George told this newspaper that following his arrest, he was forced to sit on a bench in the station for up to four hours without being questioned in regard to the allegation.

According to the Toshao, he was released after signing a document stating that he would return to the station on Tuesday.

As such, the Village Leader said that he is not privy to who might have made the allegation and that he is contemplating taking legal action to clear his name.

“I don’t know who made the allegation but I have to clear myself,” George said.

George says that he has since been in contact with his lawyer.  He is set to return to the station on Tuesday.

Leave a Reply

Reset password

Enter your email address and we will send you a link to change your password.

Get started with your account

to save your favourite homes and more

Sign up with email

Get started with your account

to save your favourite homes and more

By clicking the «SIGN UP» button you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy
Powered by Estatik
error: Content is protected !!