US prosecutors allege, amongst other things, that South Africa funneled $10 million in 2008 to Warner and two other FIFA executives in exchange for their support in its successful bid to host the 2010 World Cup.
Deputy Chief Magistrate Mark Wellington said the matter would be put off until December 2, after Warner’s attorneys requested more time so they could travel to the US and discuss extradition terms.
Wellington was expected to rule on Friday whether the belated signing of the requisite authority to proceed (ATP) by newly appointed attorney general Faris Al-Rawi five days after the September 16 deadline was fatal to the current process, meaning that Warner would have to be re-arrested and the entire process restarted.
Lead attorney for the government, James Lewis QC, had argued that the point was moot since the ATP had now been signed.
Wellington said that he had read the ATP, but decided to adjourn the matter and have the issue dealt with by Chief Magistrate Marcia Ayers-Caesar, who had been presiding over it since Warner’s first court appearance on May 27.
Some Trinidad legal experts have warned that Warner’s extradition could take three to five years to resolve.
Warner was arrested in May and lost a re-election bid as a member of parliament during general elections on September 7.
Friday’s ruling in Trinidad came the same day that prosecutors in Switzerland opened criminal proceedings against FIFA president Sepp Blatter for possible criminal mismanagement and misappropriation of FIFA money.