Speaking to reporters on Sunday following the official opening and awards ceremony of the Trinidad and Tobago Cadet Force, Sandy said because of the prolonged absence of the master key, which opens 44 cells at the prison, he has also ordered Commissioner of Prisons John Rougier to immediately change all locks.
Asked about speculation of a jailbreak, Sandy said, “We have been hearing of a jailbreak even before I sat on this chair,” adding, “The key was absent for a period of four days, so there is no way we can maintain that key and that lock. The locks have to be changed.”
“I have contacted the Commissioner of Police and informed him that I want professional investigators to do the investigations. I don’t want prison officers to do it. I want police officers to do the investigation because I want that at the end someone is held responsible.”
The minister was unable to say how soon the locks will be changed, saying the Commissioner of Prisons “will have to tell you that.”
He added, however, that extra measures are being put in place to ensure that there are no further breaches of prison security.
Prime Minister Kamla Persad-Bissessar received a report on the issue after the key was discovered missing at the Remand Yard Facility, Arouca, on Wednesday during a handing over process. Since then extensive searches were carried out and cells and prisoners were thoroughly searched. Security was also beefed up at the facility.