US Government Helping Kittitians & Nevisians With Questions about Visas

Officials at the embassy have released a list of regularly asked questions and answers to help guide Kittitians and Nevisians and other nationals, so that they may be better positioned to obey the rules and regulations of the US Citizenship & Immigration Services.

The latest edition of the “Ask the Consul column” from the U.S. Embassy addresses some of the issues that they are required to respond to on a regular basis. Most of the questions said the official, have been about – the expiry date of a visa or a passport and how long one can stay in the United States.

We therefore publish for the benefit of our readers the full list of questions and answers, as provided by the United States Embassy.


Expiration Dates Demystified


What is the last day I can travel on my U.S. Visa?

You can travel to the United States up to your visa’s final day of validity. A visa does not guarantee entry into the United States. Rather, it allows a foreign citizen to present themselves at a U.S. port of entry. Upon arrival, U.S. Customs and Border Protection (CBP) officials permit or deny admission and determine how long a visa-holder can stay which is typically up to six months on a B1/B2 visa. 


What happens if I stay longer?

It is important that you depart the United States on or before the last day you are authorized to be in the United States.  This date is specified on your Arrival-Departure Record, Form I-94.  Failure to depart in a timely fashion, being “out-of-status,” is a violation of U.S. immigration laws and will cause your visa to be voided.  It might also make you ineligible for a visa in the future, should you choose to reapply.


Can I extend my stay legally?

Visitors who wish to stay beyond the date indicated on their Form I-94 are required to obtain approval from U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS). Requests for extension or adjustment of status must be received before the expiration date provided on your I-94.  See Extend Your Stay and Change on the USCIS website for more information.  If approved, visa holders should also be prepared to explain thoroughly the reasons behind their extension when they apply to renew their visa.


My visa is valid but in an expired passport.  Do I need a new visa?

No.  If your visa is still valid you can travel to the United States with your current, valid passport and the old passport.  The visa in it must be valid, not damaged and appropriate for your purpose of travel.  Both passports should be from the same country and of the same type – for example official, diplomatic or regular.


My current passport will expire soon.  Can I still travel on it?

Visitors traveling to the United States are required to possess passports valid for six months beyond the period of their intended stay.  Many countries in the Eastern Caribbean are exempt from this requirement.  A complete list of exempt countries can be found on CBP’s list of “Six-Month Club” members.

If you have additional questions, please visit our website, or email us at //” target=”_blank”>


You can also “like” our U.S. Embassy Bridgetown page on Facebook ( to learn about upcoming visa chats! 

More information is available as “Frequently Asked Questions” on the U.S. State Department’s web page:   Additional information on the visa application process is available on U.S. Embassy Bridgetown’s website at



Leave a Reply

Reset password

Enter your email address and we will send you a link to change your password.

Get started with your account

to save your favourite homes and more

Sign up with email

Get started with your account

to save your favourite homes and more

By clicking the «SIGN UP» button you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy
Powered by Estatik
error: Content is protected !!