Los Angeles, 7 June 2022 (IICA). Samantha Power, Administrator of the United States Agency for International Development (USAID; Eduardo Enrique Reina, Minister of Foreign Affairs of Honduras; and Manuel Otero, Director General of the Inter-American Institute for Cooperation on Agriculture (IICA), will engage in a panel discussion on actions needed to combat food insecurity in the Americas and on opportunities to develop more sustainable, equitable and resilient agrifood systems in the region.
Organized by USAID and the Pacific Council on International Policy, the discussion will take place on Wednesday, 8 June in Los Angeles, United States, as a parallel event to the Summit of the Americas, which will be attended by Heads of State and Government of countries in the hemisphere.
Other participants in the discussion include Renata Segura, from the International Crisis Group, and Patrick Dessources, representing Haiti Food Systems Alliance (HFSA) and the local and international business support center, Centre d’Appui et de Services aux Entreprises Locales et Internationales (CASELI).
Pacific Council will livestream the event, entitled, “The Global Food Crisis and the Americas – Challenges and Responses“, using this link.
In her presentation, the USAID’s Samantha Power will discuss how the Biden-Harris Administration is supporting efforts to tackle the food insecurity crisis in Latin America and the Caribbean, indicating what the administration sees as the most pressing needs in terms of humanitarian assistance and the food supply.
She will also identify long-term challenges to ensuring food and nutritional security, as well as resilience in the region.
The Director General of IICA, Manuel Otero, will provide an in-depth look at how factors such as the international situation, in the context of the Ukraine crisis; distortions in global trade; the pandemic and the effects of climate change are affecting food production and availability in the countries of the Americas, particularly among the most vulnerable.
Given this scenario, IICA is aiming to promote joint actions by countries in the hemisphere to develop solutions by the agriculture sector, using the innovations that are already available in these countries.
Panel discussion information
- The Global Food Crisis and the Americas – Challenges and Responses (parallel event to the Summit of the Americas in Los Angeles, U.S.).
- Date: 8 June 2022
- Time: 1 pm local (14 hrs. San Jose, 17 hrs. Buenos Aires and Brasilia).
- Livestream: Pacific Council on International Policy, at this YouTube link.
- Samantha Power, USAID Administrator.
- Eduardo Enrique Reina, Minister of Foreign Affairs of Honduras.
- Manuel Otero, Director General of IICA.
- Renata Segura, International Crisis Group
- Patrick Dessources, Haiti Food Systems Alliance and Centre d’Appui et de Services aux Entreprises Locales et Internationales (CASELI)